Seems like every time I log on there’s someone else telling small business owners what they’re doing wrong. I don’t like so much negativity, but many times I realize from experience that the author has valid points. That’s the case with this post by Bar Rescue’s Jon Taffer.
This “Top 5” list unsurprisingly paints a kind of worst-case scenario that makes for good TV, but isn’t reflective of the small business owners I know and work with. However, it does point to problem areas I see in varying degrees in most small businesses – including my own. Taffer says our problem areas are that we:
- Get into business for the wrong reasons.
- Don’t take responsibility for failures.
- Don’t understand the three essentials of marketing.
- Don’t stay on top of the numbers.
- Don’t have the necessary experience or help.
Taffer briefly expounds on each of the above points and offers some advice to combat the problem. It’s a short, worthwhile read.
Can you identify?